Tuesday, September 16, 2008

CNN: A Dream Nears Fruition



The presidential debates will take place at the University of Mississippi on September 26. There is a broader discussion and reflection I have about the historical relevance and importance of our nation's first viable African American presidential candidate debating at the university in light of it's own history in the large fight for Civil Rights. However, of a more self-centered opportunity has come to my attention.


No, I never dreamed of playing basketball. But I did always want to work for CNN. I remember as early as 11 years old, I would have to wake up early to get ready for day care. I was a military child, so everyday I woke up at 5:30 or 6A.M. to get ready to go to school. While I ate breakfast, I would always watch ABC World News. And during this time, Anderson Cooper was the anchor. I don't know why, but I was always intrigued by world affairs and political developments worldwide. Not only from a governing standpoint, but I enjoyed hearing about news happening around the world in all these locations that I could only dream of ever visiting.
It is amazing how things work out because I think that I have always had this goal of being a political new analyst in the back of my mind. I didn't major in journalism at Ole Miss. But I did attend the Croft Institute for International Studies in which I studied political and economic transitions particularly within Latin American governmental systems. I studies abroad in Mexico during an exciting and important election during which I got to see the current president Felipe Calderon deliver a campaign speech. At this point, I was fluent in Spanish, and it became apparent to me that politics is the universal language. The rhetoric and empty promises were in the same tradition of American politicians. At any rate, after Croft, I entered law school. I don't think it is coincidental that I ended up staying at Ole Miss just long enough to see the debate.
I don't want to speak too much about it now, but there are many things happening leading me to believe that my time is now. And I am finally going to cash in on all this hard work. So I say all that to say, you REALLY can achieve your goals. If you are determined enough and you work hard enough, you can reach your destiny. I know that what is developing has been years in the making, and I am excited about the future and what is in store.

No comments: