Thursday, June 25, 2009

Michael Jackson (1958-2009)

As I write this, I still cannot believe this is true. It feels like a piece of my childhood just died today. I remember dancing around as a kid to Michael's albums. He was iconic, he was a legend. And whatever shell of his former self he became in his later years, his accomplishments and contributions to the music industry are written in the history books.

I have to admit, I don't usually get choked up about things like this, but as the radio station played his hits, I found myself crying. And a little later when I had to pick something up from the store, I couldn't even remember my own pin number. This is such a loss, such a loss. I mean, who tops him? What male pop/r&b artist comes close today? If you ask sooo many people today about their careers, they will tell you Michael Jackson inspired them. The choreography, the music video, the dance breaks, all these standards were set by Michael Jackson.

My prayers go out to his family and his children. I am deeply sorry for their loss. Our loss as fans doesn't compare.

No comments: