Saturday, June 20, 2009

Aristocratic Style: Post-Grad


Well, I suppose I am doing this out of sequence. I should start by discussing what I have been up to since I finally got called into "the game" after a what seemed like an eternity on the proverbial bench. I will begin by saying where I am now is all due to God's grace. There is no other way to explain it. Sure I worked hard, but for things to turn out as perfectly as they did -- well, that is attributable to God. But I will get into all that in another post. I will start with my love affair with Washington D.C. Maybe it's not quite that dramatic. Truth be told, after the first day, I felt like I belonged. I have not been lonely or homesick. In a strange way, it has felt like I have been working up to this moment my whole life. So I have embraced the city: the culture, the cuisine, the people, the sad realities, and the POLITICS.

I work on Capitol Hill for the U.S. House of Representatives. Specifically, I work within the office of Congresswoman Maxine Waters (CA-35). That's the legendary Rep. Waters. I probably will never say much about what goes on in the office of in Congress, but I will say that it's all thrilling, and I love going to work everyday. It is cliche, but really, I have the opportunity to help people. And this is a personal dream come true. I may not be able to save the world, but bill by bill, I have the opportunity to help someone some where. And I have been really struck by how many people do care about politics. Maybe it is the high from Pres. Obama and the renewed sense of democracy, but people care...and call. So as it was when I was at the first Presidential Debate at Ole Miss, I have found myself another front seat to history -- working in government during President Obama's first term and during all the changes he is trying to make. It's an historic time and it's a little scary. But whatever happens, my style game will be proper.

No comments: