Monday, December 29, 2008

Adventures in Job Hunting

Well, if I didn't fail Evidence (courtesy of Prof. Weems), it looks like I am finished with law school. People still ask me my impressions, and I don't quite have a grasp on it. The only thing that comes to mine is the analogy I made early on comparing law school to pledging a fraternity. It's not like I have never been academically challenged before, but in law school, it seems there is an institutionalized method of presenting various obstacles that students must overcome. The first year was definately "sink or swim." It's like you find yourself in this situation trying to figure it all out, and it all comes down to one test. The process gets less taxing as you come to terms with the process. But for the life of me, I have never worked so hard to achieve mediocrity. Your grades oftentimes are measured against your peers (there is some real life practicality in this), and many time, the amount of studying does not determine the grades you received. I have never studies so, so much to only get a C. And that is, excuse me, was law school. I earned that Juris Doctor through sweat and tears, literally. And I don't regret it. Having knowledge of the law and legal system does impart power. You have a sense of security about how things work and you have a basic understanding of your rights and certain procedures. I always imagined that I would go to law school, and now that school is out forever, I am left to think about the rest of my life: beginning with landing a job in a dismal economy.

So I have a specific career goal. Ultimately I would like to be a political analyst and contributer for CNN. In addition, I wouldn't mind doing political consulting and advising. Accordingly, I never went to law school to practice law per se. I simply thought the degree lends itself to flexibility allowing me the opportunity to have several career options. And it does, and that is definately a plus in trying to find a job right now. So I am beginning to feel like Frodo (Lord of the Rings). In following every lead and every connection, I am going from place to place trying to land just the right position. I won't go into detail about it, but I am trying to keep the faith.

I have moments of doubt. I mean, I never factored that I would graduate at a time like this. There was a certain expectation I had while in school. It wasn't an entitlement, it was the natural progression of things (so I thought). You put in the time, you do what you are supposed to do, think about the future today, and you have everything lined up so that when you graduate you have an opportunity waiting for you. So, there are moments when I feel some anxiety because I am the type of person who likes to be one step ahead. And now I am in a situation where I have to wait. Patience was never my strongest suit, but friends and family are helping me through it.

But in a less serious change of discussion. What I will always prescribe to anyone searching for a job, is to have a well tailored suit. But come on, who of us has tailors at this point? Right, so when I say well tailored, I mean buy a suit that FITS. Take for example, Mr. Bond:
This how you wear a suit. As a graduation gift, my dad bought me a navy suit from Banana Republic. Their suits run up to $400 dollars, but I got mine for $150, courtesy of
the recession. I have lost some weight in the past few years, so the suits I have really did not fit well. The last interview I had, I felt so self conscious about it. So, I needed to get a suit that fit. I would say the next to "who you know" and "what you know" (the latter being less significant), the presentation (what you look like) counts for something. And inherently, when you look good, you feel good and you are more readily able to convey your experience and credentials with confidence. I was trying to pass on wear 42 Longs (in chest) matched with matching suit pant slacks I had with 36 in waists! Yeah, there used to be a little more of me to love. But currently, for my best suit is a 40 (regular or long depending on the cut) with a 33 inch waist pant (or 32, depends on cut). The arms of the blazer should fall just enough to wear you are able to reveal a bit of cuff. And the blazer itself, should hug the shoulders as if it was made for you. For men, it's about the fit and proportion. When you can get the right fit and proportion for your body type, you can never go wrong.



3 comments:

wlmb2 said...

Dear Aristocrat,

Loving your blog, was wondering with your frequent references to A Suit That Fits, if you would be interested in www.asuitthatfits.com? We do exactly what it says on the title, and all for £150.

all the best,


Warren
A Suit That Fits

The Doc said...

Great post....keep on looking up!

Ismosanga said...

yo, Great blog came accross it unexpectedly. A lot of similarities between the two of us coincidentally. Anyways, Buy your suit from China. Globalization must be good for something! Custom made to measure and all the sophisticated additions you can fancy.($130) If in need of more info, hit me up!